| Practice Description: Mr. O'Shaughnessy represents lenders, borrowers, buyers, sellers and other parties in commercial lending, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. He has comprehensive experience in representing secured and unsecured lenders, credit enhancers, and underwriters in commercial loan transactions, including acquisition and bond financings; and buyers, sellers, and private equity investors in mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, including large-scale cross-border transactions. He has worked with companies in the transportation, electronics, utility, third-party logistics, packaging, and food industries, among others. He has expertise with the Uniform Commercial Code as well as the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods ("CISG"). Recently he has written on Hong Kong and its importance in doing business in China.|
Notable Cases and Results:
His experience includes:
- Representation of numerous banks, investors, and borrowers in provision of U.S. and cross-border secured and unsecured senior and mezzanine credit facilities.
- Representation of issuers, underwriters, and credit enhancers in general obligation and revenue bond financings for governments, non-profits, and for-profits.
- Management buyout of assets of $55 million food business from German parent.
- Outside general counsel to North American transportation industry-sponsored B2B e-commerce exchange joint venture.
- Principal counsel to right-of-way provider/licensor for trans-North American, U.S.-Canadian multi-conduit fiber optic network joint venture.
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Date of Birth: 1949
Law School: University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1987
Law School Honors/Involvement: Order of the Coif
Undergraduate School: Christian Brothers University, B.A., 1973
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Published Legal Writing:
- "CISG Importance Grows," Inside Supply Management, October 2006
- "The Consequences of Consequential Damages," Inside Supply Management, June 2005
- "Evaluating and Understanding Contract Performance, Enforcement, Modification, and Termination," International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit in San Antonio, TX, May 2005
- "Warranties and Other Quality Control Provisions: How To Get The Deal You Bargained For," International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit in Philadelphia, PA, April 2004
- "Dynamic Contract Interpretation," International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit in Nashville, TN, May 2003
- "Dealing with Troubled Suppliers," International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit in San Francisco, CA, May 2002