| Practice Description: |
With over four decades of experience, Donald Segal knows the practice of insurance defense better than his opponents, and he delivers the wins for his law firm, recently scoring two favorable jury verdicts within one month, both in difficult personal injury cases involving different power tool manufacturers. His skills have been recognized by the 60,000 attorneys in Sullivan's Law Directory, who voted him a Leading Lawyer, an honor only given to the top five percent of attorneys in Illinois, and also by Thomson-Reuters' Super Lawyers®, which recognized him in personal injury defense and products liability defense law. His products liability work has covered automotive and transport products, electronics, medical devices, and power tools and machinery, and he also handles professional liability cases, including medical and dental malpractice. An active philanthropist, he is the founder of both the American Brain Tumor Association and the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Obtained successful ruling on Daubert motion and summary judgment on behalf of printing press manufacturer, August 2007.
- Two defense jury verdicts within one month in Cook County Illinois in product liability cases against power tool manufacturers. Both cases involved serious injuries to users of power tools.
U.S. Court of Claims
U.S. Court of Military Justice
U.S. District Court, Illinois
U.S. District Court, North Dakota
U.S. District Court, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Illinois Supreme Court
Date of Birth: 1938
Law School: University of Chicago, J.D., 1963
Undergraduate School: University of Wisconsin, B.S., 1960
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- Leading Lawyers Member selected by peers in Medical Malpractice Defense Law, Personal Injury Defense Law: General, and Products Liability Defense Law
- American Brain Tumor Association
- Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States
Published Appellate Opinions:
- Horace Mann Insurance Company v. Williams (Ill Appellate Court 2002).